Everything’s Changed Except the Name

“Everything in its place and a place for everything”…that’s the big difference between the old building and the new and expanded facility housing Penny/Ohlmann/Neiman.

Doubling total floor space from approximately 6,000 square feet to 12,000 afforded the opportunity to re-group agency services for more effective workflow and to add facilities for more in-house capability.

Architect Richard D. Levin of Levin Porter Inc., used quartz aggregate and concrete pillars to create the distinctive design which now incorporates the remodeled original structure, the new two-story wing and the enclosed parking area. Inside, high ceilings, atrium skylights and large open spaces, along with a subtly coordinated color scheme, add dramatically to the new feeling and reality of spaciousness.

Designed with flanking wings off a central reception and conference area, the new floor plan allows the grouping of agency services in specific areas, i.e. account services, including PR and Media in one wing and production services in the other.

It also placed these areas along a logical line of progress from initiating jobs in account services or public relations, through the media and creative departments, to typesetting, to final production in either the art studio or recording studio, and on to job completion in accounting.

The biggest boost for in-house capability is in the acoustically designed recording studio. Included are two soundproof recording booths, room angles to reduce the problem of “standing wave” patterns, playback speakers that simulate both car radio quality and more expensive home stereo-radio quality, large quantity duplication capability and equipment for TV audio, radio and A/V track promotion.

As we’ve learned with our longstanding in-house typesetting facilities, this kind of added service keeps a lid on clients’ cost and turnaround times compared to using outside sources on a regular basis.

Two small conference rooms and a centrally located large conference room – with front and rear screen projection and video equipment, three levels of lighting and comfortable seating for twelve – offers the opportunities for larger meetings not possible before.

The new building includes kitchen stations, with a large full kitchen and lunchroom near the center of the building for carry-in lunches, Friday morning donuts, Saturday snacking and impromptu coffee meetings anytime.

Outside, at the north end of the new wing, an outdoor patio area with seating for twelve invites staff to “eat out” while having “lunch in.” Landscaped areas along the patio and in the enclosed parking area are rivaled by the numbers of new plants and trees inside the new P/O/N – something the flooding of natural light from our many new windows and atrium skylights now allows us to have.

In the words of Toyota…”Oh, what a feeling”

 

 

Penny Ohlmann Neimann

The Ohlmann Group has a rich history that began in Dayton, Ohio in 1949, where the agency was founded as Penny and Penny by Bob Penny and his wife Jean. In 1964, Walter Ohlmann joined the firm. Ralph Neiman came on in 1969 and the firm became Penny/Ohlmann/Neiman. In 2011, P/O/N was renamed The Ohlmann Group to better reflect the agency's ongoing evolution and collaborative nature.

Leave a Comment

The Ohlmann Group 1605 N. Main Street, Dayton, OH 45405 | (937) 278-0681