The Westcott House: A Frank Lloyd Wright architectural restoration project

By  Lara Strazdin, PR Director

An architectural and cultural treasure is quietly being restored in Springfield, Ohio. The Westcott House, former home of industrialist Burton J. Westcott and his family, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright nearly 100 years ago, will open to the public for the first time October 15, 2005.

 

In preparation for this grand opening, the Westcott House Foundation needs your help.  The Foundation is the organization leading the full-scale architectural restoration of the house, but it will take an entire regional community to complete the five-year effort to return this beautiful prairie style house to its original, turn-of-the-century glory.

 

In addition to much-needed development funds, Marta Wojcik, curator of interpretation, is very interested in locating photographs of the house during its construction and early days of occupancy, beginning in 1908. The imposing stucco house, located on East High Street at the corner of Greenmount Avenue across from the cemetery, is glaringly different from the multiple-storied Victorian grande dames that neighbor it. Pictures of both the exterior and landscaping of the Westcott House, as well the interior and décor are very important to ensure that the restoration is historically accurate.

 

In addition, Wojcik seeks furniture, memorabilia, and other artifacts dating back to the first decade of the twentieth century. Since the Westcott House will become a house museum open to the public, it is important to know, as precisely as possible, how it functioned as a home for a family active in the life of Springfield at the time.

 

If you would like to know more about the Frank Lloyd Wright designed Westcott House, the Foundation’s restoration efforts or the public opening, please contact us at P/O/N at 937.278.0681.

Penny Ohlmann Neimann

The Ohlmann Group has a rich history that began in Dayton, Ohio in 1949, where the agency was founded as Penny and Penny by Bob Penny and his wife Jean. In 1964, Walter Ohlmann joined the firm. Ralph Neiman came on in 1969 and the firm became Penny/Ohlmann/Neiman. In 2011, P/O/N was renamed The Ohlmann Group to better reflect the agency's ongoing evolution and collaborative nature.

Leave a Comment

The Ohlmann Group 1605 N. Main Street, Dayton, OH 45405 | (937) 278-0681